When the need comes for a choice of a portable generator, there are certain things to be considered. Ranging from the type of start the generator has to the surge and continuous ratings of the generator and the overall physical features.
Some of the generators have a recoil start, electric switch or key start it depends on who uses or starts the generator before you make the choice but it is always better to have a double type of start in case one fails. From experience, I discovered it is best to have a recoil starter too in case the key start fails since one always start a generator at the point of need. So you need to have a backup before you are chanced to fix the failed one.
Finally, you must also check your appliances for the actual wattage and sum those that must be on when using the generator to know the one with the wattage you should buy.
However, I will give you a review of the top five portable generators.
Top 5 Portable Generators
- DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
- DuroStar DS4000S 4,000 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator
- All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator
- WEN 56352 3500 Watt 212cc 7 HP OHV Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit
- Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator, 7500 Running Watts/9000 Starting Watts
1. DuroMax XP4400E 4400, 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
- Recoil start as well as an easy electric start.
- Has an aircooled OHV engine with 3,500 constant running power and 4,400 surge power.
- Has never flat knobby tires
- However, this model is not CARB compliant.
- It can be used for powering fridge, electric saws, drills and other equipments as well as in case of emergencies at home.
- It is EPA approved and runs at 69 db which is a relatively low noise.
- It can be used in the U.S National Park due to the low noise as a result of the super quiet muffler in the super quiet exhaust that has a spark arrester.
- The dual 15-amp circuit breaker prevents overload
- The above mentioned DuroMax XP4400E has two 120-volt, 20-amp standard household outlets this helps in supplying power to all of your appliances as well as a powerful 120/240-volt, 30-amp twist lock outlet for high-powered tools.
- The 12-volt DC output with leads works as a charger for batteries and other rechargeable devices. This is made possible by the volt meter which allows for monitoring the generator’s output range at all times, and the battery charge indicator light lets you know when the generator’s starter battery is charging.
- DuroMax RV Switch (voltage selector) allows for maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles and also allows a choicee between operating the generator at both 120 and 240 volts simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.
- It has a heavy duty steel frame roll cage with four-point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and quiet operation. You’ll get up to 8 hours of run time (at 50 percent) from a 4-gallon tank of fuel. Other features include an advanced automatic voltage regulator
This is another good power generator with a 7hp air cooled overhead valve engine that has a recoil start with 4000 surge power and 3300 constant running power. It is good for use during sudden power outage, camping, sporting events, job sites to mention but a few and this is all because of its rugged nature.
The Basic Features are as follows
Heavy duty steel frame with four-point fully isolated motor mounts
It has recoil starting.
This model is not CARB-compliant.
The power panel consists of, start switch, volt meter, and circuit breaker.
It has two 120-volt, 20-amp, 3-prong outlets (NEMA 5-20R) for the supply of power to any home appliance of your choice, plus one 120-volt, 30-amp outlet (NEMA L5-30) for high-powered tools.
It has an 8-hour run time at half load, a 4-gallon fuel tank with easily readable gauge.
It has a heavy duty steel frame with four-point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and quiet operation.
A Super quiet muffler reduces engine noise to about 69 dB and an automatic low-oil shut off to protect the engine when the fuel becomes lower than necessary.
Easy portability is ensured by an optional wheel kit.
3. All Power 2000 Watt Portable Generator APG3014
This is an 8.5 x 14.2 x 15.4 inches, 58 pounds lightweight and portable generator which is durable and has undeniable power. It can be used for camping, power backup in houses or mobile homes or tailgating. Surge power is 2000 watts and 1400watts continuous power this makes it big enough for a 4 stroke engine without the mixture of gas and oil that is used by smaller 2 stroke generators.
The Basic Features are as follows:
3hp OHV engine with 65db noise level
It is EPA approved with two AC 120V outlets and one DC 12V output
It has a recoil start with AC rated voltage of 120v and frequency rating of 60hertz
It has a Fuel tank of 1.32 Gallons with a fuel type of unleaded gasoline
However, some users tend to confuse the suge power with the continuous load power thereby claiming that the rating is not up to 2000W. Also continuous power should be at half load otherwise, when it exceeds half load or when it is very heavily loaded, it could lead to serious vibration which can result in leakages of the unit.
It is not Carb compliant.
4. Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator, 7500 Running Watts/9000 Starting Watts
The Basic features are as follows
Electric and manual start with 420cc overhead valve engine.
The Pulse-Flo muffler ensures a minimal noise operation.
It has LCD hour meter
Full enclosure protects The electrical connections are protected from debris and weather by complete enclosure.
It has four 120-volt and one 120/240-volt twist outlets
Non-CARB Compliant/Not For Sale In California
It is easily assembled easy to operate with a simplified power control center backed by an industry leading 3-year limited warranty.
It shipped with never-flat tires, high-leverage handles, tool kit, one liter bottle of oil and a funnel which helps you to get started very quickly.
5. WEN 56352 3500 Watt 212cc 7 HP OHV Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit
Basic Features are as follows
It can run for 11hrs at half load
Has a 4 Gallon fuel tank with fuel gauge
Can shut down automatically when fuel is low
It is not CARB compliant
It has two 120 Volt receptacles and one 240/120 V NEMA L14-30 Receptacle
It can run electric motor and a sump pump at the same time.
The noise level is at 71dB.
It has a wheel kit for easy transportation.
It has Voltage Indicator Lights which lets the user go from one voltage to the other.
It has a cigarette-lighter-style 12V DC outlet which allows for battery charging and powers any 12V DC piece of equipment with a cigarette-lighter-style plug.