To buy a portable generator, there must be a proper identification of the purpose for which it is going to be used, the operator that will be working on it, the environment where it is going to be used. This will decides attributes like the Wattage ratings (surge or continuous), Starter types (kick or recoil start), noise or decibel level for indoors or outdoors, CARB compliance etc.
Surge ratings describe the ability of the generator to meet up with the surge power (power required for start up) of heavy devices like fridge compressors, water pumping machines, power hacksaw power rating at startup, while the continuous power rating indicates the power rating while the devices had settled down to normal running. It is therefore better to know both the surge and continuous power rating and compared with that of the generator you want to buy. Again, starter types must also be checked whether it is a recoil start, or a battery powered kick start, or both types.
The noise levels too must be checked to know if it suits the environment where it is to be used while California residents must not use generators that are not CARB compliant.
Below is the list of the top 5 that are making waves currently.
1. DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
1. It has 4400w surge power and 3500w running rated AC power outputs, 7hp and EPA approved with a rating of 69 dBA for quiet operation due to the super-quiet muffler this qualifies it for for use in U.S. National Parks.
2. The power panel comes with a circuit breaker to avoid overload, engine shut off switch, voltmeter for knowing your power output and power outlets (two 120-volt, 20-amp standard household outlets ), 30amp twist lock outlet for heavy duty tool that requires much power. To charge your battery, there is a 12v DC output with leads.
3. Never flat knobby tires ensures usage in any terrain, the stow away foldable handles to save space helps in moving the generator.
4. Has both electric starter with battery and a recoil start,.
5. The steel frame roll cage has a four-point completely isolated motor mounts for quiet operation.
6. Possess an automatic voltage regulator for unexpected surge.
7. It has an 8hour run time at full tank which is 4 gallons and has the ability to shut itself down when oil is low to avoid damage.
This model is however not CARB compliant therefore California residents should get a CARB compliant model, However, due to the position of the oil-fill tube which is awkwardly placed, use a funnel with atube at the end to avoid spilling oil.Click Here For The DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
2. DuroStar DS4000S 4,000 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable recoil start Generator
2. It has 3,300w of constant running power and a surge power of 4,000w.
3. Heavy duty steel frame with four-point fully isolated motor mounts.
4. The power panel has the start switch circuit breaker, 2- 120volts outlets (NEMA 5-20), 20 amp and 3prong outlet and another 120 volts, 30amp outlet (NEMA L5-30) for heavy duty tools that requires high power.
5. It can run for 8hr at half load on a 4 gallon fuel tank. The steel frame also have fully isolated mounts for easy, quiet and smooth operations
6. It runs at 69dBA which is relatively low noise as a result of the super quiet mufflers.
7. It has an optional wheel kit which makes for easy movement.Click Here For The DuroStar DS4000S 4,000 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator
3. WEN 56352 3500 Watt 212cc 7 HP OHV Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit
4.Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator, 7500 Running Watts/9000 Starting
1. This unit comes with an over sized Westinghouse Pulse -Flo muffler and catalyst, an EZ start(one touch electric start) which is common to all Westinghouse generators color coded starting controls.This ensures a smooth and quiet running of the generator.